Application of Embryonic Cell Suspensions in Patients with Solid Tumors before Initiation of Radical Treatment
Cell Therapy Clinic of National Medical University and Embryonic Tissues Center "EmCell"
Patients with solid tumors and complications that made initiations of anti-cancer treatment impossible, were transplanted embryonic cell suspensions (ECS) prepared from human embryonic liver and spleen of 6–12 weeks of gestation. Nucleated cells count stood at 30–100x106
. Suspensions were administered intravenously dropwise in the amount of 1–5 ml. ECS transplantation resulted in:
- reliable increase of erythrocyte count by 7–9th day and Hb by 10–14th day in patients with anemia. 94% of patients with anemia compared to 54% in the control group reported considerable improvement;
- reliable increase of body weight compared to those in control group within 1 month following ECS administration in patients with moderate weight loss and stabilization of body weight in patients with cachexia. The overall effectiveness is 73% against 22% in control group;
- reliable decrease of general and emotional fatigue in 2 weeks and decrease of physical fatigue in 1 month after ECS administration;
- life quality improvement manifested as a reliable increase of Karnofsky index (KI) compared to the initial level and control group within 2 weeks–2 months after ECS administration;
- immunomodulating effect reflected in a reliable increase of CD4+ lymphocytes, tendency for the increase of total lymphocyte count – CD3+, CD8+ and CD19+ subsets – in 1 month as well as NK-cells in 2 months after ECS administration.
The overall effectiveness of ECS transplantation in terms of elimination of complications amounted to 88% against 33% in the control group, thus allowing for initiation of anti-cancer treatment.
In treatment of cytostatic hematodepression in patients with Wilms’ tumor and osteogenic sarcoma, ECS transplantation resulted in the reliable increase of leukocyte count in 7–10 days, Hb in 25–30 days, and erythrocyte count in 15–20 days. ECS transplantation also had a protective effect allowing for initiation of cytostatic treatment. In patients with osteogenic sarcoma, observed was an immunomodulating effect.
In radically treated patients with various solid tumors and symptoms of secondary immunodefficiency, ECS transplantation produced immunocorrecting effect manifested as an increase of CD19+ and CD3+-lymphocytes, reliable increase of total leukocyte count, and CD4+ and CD16+ subsets in 2 months after ECS administration, with maintenance of that level for 6–12 months of follow-up. Besides, ECS transplantation improved life quality, which was reflected in a reliable increase of KI in 2 months after transplantation and restoration of working ability in 75% of patients against 25% prior to the study.
In incurable pancreatic cancer patients with low life quality index after palliative surgery, ECS administration resulted in improvement of life quality and KI increase in 2 months after ECS administration compared to the initial level and reliable difference with the control group patients after 6 months of follow-up; immunocorrective effect in 1–2 months after ECS transplantation, much less expressed compared to radically treated patients; prolonged life expectancy up to 9.4±0.61 months against 6.9±0.52 months in the control group (p<0.05).
Rezultat tretmana fetalnim matičnim ćelijama zavisi od: težine bolesti, starosne dobi pacijenta, doslednosti i privrženosti medikaciji i režimu. Rezultati tretmana, prezentovani na ovom sajtu, su individualni za svaki klinički slučaj.